Dave Hilditch

Dave has been programming since 6 years old and has been developing WordPress plugins, themes and websites since 2010. In the past he built the fast browse view technology for Skyscanner and now he is on a mission to make WordPress the fastest platform on the planet. He is always on at least one of his computers when he's awake, so get in touch and he'll get right back to you.

18 Comments

1. Nicholas Jacques Venter
    August 25, 2016 @ 5:50 pm

Hi Dave, thanks for this awesome post!

I found a plugin for checking PHP 7 compatibility on your WordPress site:

Quote from plugin developer: “In most cases, PHP 5.6 code should be able to run on PHP 7 with no issue. Assuming a plugin or theme has correctly hooked into WordPress, backwards compatibility will not be an issue.”

2. Gavin Grayston
    August 26, 2016 @ 7:12 am

Will you reintroduce memcached into your WPI Stack when memcached is fully PHP7 compatible?

• Dave Hilditch
      August 26, 2016 @ 3:58 pm

Yes – there are some various attempts at solutions, some of which I’ve tried, none which have worked for me yet. But yes – memcached helps W3 total cache a lot

3. Emiel
    October 4, 2016 @ 11:43 am

Hi Dave,

Thanks for this great tutorial!

I managed to setup a DO droplet and migrate one of my wordpress site to Digital Ocean with Server Pilot. Also I managed to upgrade succesfully to the Percona DB. Only thing left is configuring Cloudflare and real cron.

However I like Server Pilot’s services, I was wondering: Do you think it’s possible to get the same stack setup without server Pilot the following way? Would that be the exact same stack? The way I am talking about is this one:

1. Create DO account
    2. Choose WordPress on 16.04 One-Click App instead of Ubuntu 16.04 on droplet creation
    3. Install NGinx manually using this tutorial: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-nginx-on-ubuntu-16-04
    4. Upgrade to PerconaDB using this tutorial: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-a-fresh-percona-server-or-replace-mysql

Really curious what you think of this method and if the result would be the same. Thanks for your reply in advance and keep up the good work!

• Emiel
      October 4, 2016 @ 1:48 pm

Also, I got one other question:

In the domain’s DNS I added a dev.domain.com A record to redirect to the DO droplet’s IP. That works all fine.
      After restoring backups on the DO wordpress install using UpdraftPlus, the subdomain’s site (dev.domain.com) works immediately: I can login and everything works fine. Also the new subdomain (dev.domain.com) is set as the wordpress address (main url) etc. So it seems the domain has been changed to the subdomain automatically already. Is that possible? Does this mean replacing the http://www.domain.com with dev.domain.com using InterConnectit’s tool isn’t necessary anymore?

Thanks again for your reply already!

• Dave Hilditch
        November 17, 2016 @ 12:53 pm

This domain thing DOES happen automatically when using ServerPilot – they have a wildcard to catch the current domain so you don’t need to search/replace

• Dave Hilditch
      November 17, 2016 @ 12:49 pm

Yes – it’s possible – I wrote the ServerPilot article to show people how to do it really easily, but personally I prefer to build them manually.

You can see my full guide for building an awesome stack here manually – https://www.wpintense.com/2015/02/04/diy-mercury-installation-super-fast-wordpress-performance/

4. twardy
    October 27, 2016 @ 6:52 pm

When are you going to update this guide with these extra steps? It would be very helpful. I hope you will find some time.

• Dave Hilditch
      November 17, 2016 @ 12:53 pm

Hopefully soon – working very hard trying to get Price Comparison Pro v3 live!

5. longpvo
    October 31, 2016 @ 10:50 am

Any update on this?

• Dave Hilditch
      November 17, 2016 @ 12:55 pm

I will update soon – I’ve got a couple of very nice things coming in this area to make things far quicker and easier for everyone. One is a pre-built snapshot you can use to build a high-performance droplet, the other is an automatic migration tool to copy your current live site over to a digital ocean high performance config (various options, percona, maria, php7, hhvm etc) so you can test out performance with different setups prior to migration. i.e. the copy will move everything over to dev.yourdomain.com and then will automatically measure the page-speed of various pages to show you the speed boost you’re getting. Cool right?

6. Saeed
    November 3, 2016 @ 12:52 am

Hi Dave,

Thanks very much for the step by step tutorial. I have got everything going and set up a test site. Everything looks great and the site loads very quickly. I am getting ready to now move my biggest site.

I look forward to reading the next few guides you mentioned at the end. Thank you.

7. Vasil Yordanov
    November 19, 2016 @ 7:13 pm

Hey guys, hope you’re enjoying Dave’s awesome tutorial. In case you’re interested in more guides such as this one, have a look at this link:

8. Ariel
    December 11, 2016 @ 4:52 am

Hey Dave waiting for this update. I read it back in August and I tried it out. Performance gains were good but I’ve been waiting for the “Full guide” before I pull the trigger on this. I ran into this article again now in Dec and see it’s not been updated yet. Hoping you find the time to update this guide as I’d like to see how much better things can get!

• Dave Hilditch
      December 12, 2016 @ 3:50 pm

Hi – I’ve got an update to this in the works. I’m actually working on something that will make this all much simpler too – it will let you create a snapshot really quickly and then to configure you just enter your domain name and it’ll be done (also point your A record).

When that comes out, this article will get updated at the same time.

• Danny
        March 22, 2017 @ 9:30 pm

I came across your website some time ago and having been following this article with much interest. Like Ariel I’m awaiting an update, so can you give any ETA when the article will get an update?

9. mcx